[Nouveau] unstable refresh rate

James Lockie bjlockie at lockie.ca
Tue Aug 6 19:26:03 UTC 2019

On August 6, 2019 1:36:09 p.m. Ilia Mirkin <imirkin at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> Can you try something very simple - unplug the cable, and plug it back
> in, while the TV is on, and set to the HDMI input?
I still only get 30Hz.
I did just update the tv firmware s9 maybe that is why I can't get it 60Hz
anymore.
I wish I kept better track of the timeline.

With the new HDMI 2 cable I get 4096x2160 at 30Hz (there is no 60Hz option).
3840x2160 at 59.9685Hz gives me no signal.

> That should ensure
> that the SCDC write can go through at modeset time.
>
> You can also force nouveau to avoid any modes that require scrambling
> by booting with nouveau.hdmimhz=340.
>
> Cheers,
>
>  -ilia
>
> On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 1:15 PM James <bjlockie at lockie.ca> wrote:
>>
>> I was going to buy a new cable and I came across this description:
>>> Category 2 Certified HDMI wire supports resolutions up to 4Kx2K (UHD)
>> @30 Hz
>>
>> https://www.cnet.com/how-to/what-is-hdmi-2-0b/
>>> HDMI versions compared
>>> HDMI Version  Max Resolution  Max 4K Frame rate       HDCP 2.2        HDR
>>>   WCG     Hybrid Log Gamma        Dynamic Metadata
>>> 1.4   4K      30Hz    No      No      No      No      No
>>> 2.0   4K      60Hz    Yes     No      No      No      No
>>> 2.0a  4K      60Hz    Yes     Yes     Yes     No      No
>>> 2.0b  4K      60Hz    Yes     Yes     Yes     Yes     No