[Nouveau] Questions on Maxwell 2nd Gen Compute Kernels/Shaders

Fernando Sahmkow fsahmkow27 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 18:34:23 UTC 2019

So we have been busy implementing the compute engine lately but we have
discovered a few issues with Compute Shaders. I hope you guys can answer
some questions.

1st How do I determine the size of Compute Shaders/Kernel Local Memory ? In
Pipeline shaders the size is included in the header but Compute Kernels
don't have a header, so how do I determine how much local memory it uses?
In case I can't is there a limit?

2nd I backtrack directions for LDG from the constbuffer that stores them. I
then use this directions then to compute the adress in my emulated SSBO.
For fragment, geometry and vertex shaders I got no problems with this
directions. For compute shaders the directions seem to be invalid, I
imagine there's a base adress that's added to this directions. Where can I
obtain that base adress?

3rd SUATOM instraction CAS is similar to CompareAndSwap except it may add 1
or 2 to the data register on store. How do I know when it adds 1 or 2?

Thanks in advance.