[Nouveau] 5.9.11 still hanging 2mn at each boot and looping on nvidia-gpu 0000:01:00.3: PME# enabled (Quadro RTX 4000 Mobile)

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Sun Dec 27 18:28:02 UTC 2020

On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 12:03 PM Marc MERLIN <marc_nouveau at merlins.org> wrote:

> This started with 5.5 and hasn't gotten better since then, despite some reports
> I tried to send.
>
> As per my previous message:
> I have a Thinkpad P70 with hybrid graphics.
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107GLM [Quadro M600M] (rev a2)
> that one works fine, I can use i915 for the main screen, and nouveau to
> display on the external ports (external ports are only wired to nvidia
> chip, so it's impossible to use them without turning the nvidia chip
> on).
>
> I now got a newer P73 also with the same hybrid graphics (setup as such
> in the bios). It runs fine with i915, and I don't need to use external
> display with nouveau for now (it almost works, but I only see the mouse
> cursor on the external screen, no window or anything else can get
> displayed, very weird).
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU104GLM [Quadro RTX 4000 Mobile / Max-Q] (rev a1)

Display offload usually requires acceleration -- the copies are done
using the DMA engine. Please make sure that you have firmware
available (and a new enough mesa). The errors suggest that you don't
have firmware available at the time that nouveau loads. Depending on
your setup, that might mean the firmware has to be built into the
kernel, or available in initramfs. (Or just regular filesystem if you
don't use a complicated boot sequence. But many people go with distro
defaults, which do have this complexity.)

> after boot, when it gets the right trigger (not sure which ones), it
> loops on this evern 2 seconds, mostly forever.

The gpu suspends with runtime pm. And then gets woken up for some
reason (could be something quite silly, like lspci, or could be
something explicitly checking connectors, etc). Repeat.

Cheers,

  -ilia