[Nouveau] desktop hanging

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 2 16:03:19 UTC 2020

Dave composed on 2020-01-28 11:06 (UTC-0500):

> My driver and graphics card information is below. This configuration has
> been working great (much better than the nvidia proprietary driver)
> until I upgraded from kernel 5.0 to 5.3. The desktop keeps hanging every
> few minutes (the mouse usually keeps working but windows, desktop, task
> bar doesn't). Is this a known issue? Is there a fix coming for this?

> Thanks and let me know if you need any additional information. I have
> currently backed out that kernel update but can reinstall if you need
> additional details.

You could try the default DDX, which Mint's driver manager doesn't bother
offering. It's not a separate package to be installed. You already have it.
Simply remove nvidia-340 and xserver-xorg-video-nouveau and X should run it
automagically. I have probably the exact same card using it.

# inxi -V | head -n1
inxi 3.0.37-00 (2019-11-19)
big41:~ # inxi -GxxS
System:    Host: big41 Kernel: 5.3.18-lp152.1-default x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.5.0 Desktop: KDE 3 wm: kwin
           dm: N/A Distro: openSUSE Leap 15.2 Alpha
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA G84 [GeForce 8600 GT] vendor: XFX Pine driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0
           chip ID: 10de:0402
           Display: server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa alternate: nouveau,nv,nvidia
           resolution: 1920x1200~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0 128 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 18.3.2 compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/