[Nouveau] [BUG][NOUVEAU] G70 broken since 5.10-rc1

Christian König christian.koenig at amd.com
Thu Nov 26 12:05:56 UTC 2020

Hi Mark,

Am 26.11.20 um 10:59 schrieb Mark Hounschell:
> On 11/26/20 3:35 AM, Christian König wrote:
>>> I'm running an older "NVIDIA Corporation G70 [GeForce 7800 GT] (rev
>>> a1)" card in a newer BIOSTAR B550GTA MB. Kernel 5.10-rcx does not
>>> work. I get no virtual consoles or X screen.

thanks for the dmesg.

Problem is I don't have the slightest idea what's going wrong here :)

The code should be functional identical, it was just moved from TTM to
nouveau, so we are missing some detail in the handling.

Can you run the following test for me: First you need to disable loading
of the nouveau kernel module by adding modprobe.blacklist=nouveau to the
kernel command line.

Then log into the system over the network and run the following commands:

sudo modprobe ttm
sudo bash -c "echo 'ttm_bo_kmap' >
/sys/kernel/debug/tracing/set_graph_function"
sudo bash -c "echo function_graph >
/sys/kernel/debug/tracing/current_tracer"
sudo modprobe nouveau
sudo bash -c "cat /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/trace" > trace.log

Please then send me the resulting trace.log file so that I can
investigate why mapping the framebuffer fails during driver load.

Thanks in advance,
Christian.