[Nouveau] [RFC] Documentation: nouveau: Introduce some nouveau documentation

Jeremy Cline jcline at redhat.com
Thu Sep 24 18:18:10 UTC 2020

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 07:26:01PM +0200, Karol Herbst wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 6:03 PM Jeremy Cline <jcline at redhat.com> wrote:

> > > yeah, that's fine. I was just giving a suggestion on where the initial
> > > focus should be on.

> > > That's best to document in a wiki though. And we had plans to convert
> > > the existing old wiki over to gitlab. And maybe It think we really
> > > should do that and clean it up while we work on that. It's just a huge
> > > project but maybe just starting with whatever you want to do would be
> > > fine and after a while nothing is left. Anyway, I think we should
> > > discuss this more openly with the others as well. i don't like the
> > > current wiki anyway, as only approved developers can change things and
> > > with a gitlab wiki we could even take MRs on stuff.
> > >

> > Yeah, so I think there's going to be at least three separate locations
> > for documentation: Envytools (hardware), the nouveau wiki (user guide),
> > and in the kernel (developer-focused and only the kernel bits). I don't
> > know much about the userspace bits yet, so maybe there's going to be
> > more than three places. I think it'd be good to at least cross-reference
> > between the wiki and the kernel docs, so this "section" could really
> > just be a link to the nouveau wiki for folks who end up in the kernel
> > docs, but really just want to use things (and maybe new developers who
> > haven't historically been users, such as myself).

> > > well.. I think this can be skipped ;) But still, also belongs more
> > > into a wiki. I think what we could cover here is to how to clean up
> > > remaining stuff from the blob driver as this is something which comes
> > > up quite a lot on IRC though.

> > > that would be cool to have in the wiki as well. Just collecting the
> > > most common issue and document it there. Especially if it is on
> > > gitlab, users can just do that as well :)

> > > yeah, and we have some stuff on that on the old wiki already, it's
> > > just very outdated and needs updating, which as said above can only be
> > > done by developers and developers sadly have other things to do :)

> > > Right, those things I'd like to see in the kernel tree actually.

> > > Those I think belong more into the wiki again. The latter is a bit
> > > hard to split as there are kernel guides, but also community and
> > > project guides. Mesa does things differently than let's say the
> > > kernel. And Nouveau is still in this limbo state being on the old
> > > infra, but also on the new one with mesa...

> > > I think the first step actually is to set up a proper nouveau project
> > > on gitlab for dealing with issues and the wiki. I would be fine to do
> > > that and we can also move the code there late. But maybe let's start
> > > with the wiki :)
> > >

> > I've got some experience with GitLab's wiki, and as far as I could tell
> > there wasn't a great way to handle contribution from folks without write
> > access as well as reviews (it may exist, I just don't know it) so what
> > I've done in the past is use GitLab Pages[0] and stored a Sphinx project
> [...]

The work is pretty minimal for what I typically do. You need a CI job to
build the docs on merge requests and pushes, which at its most verbose
is something like:

docs:
  stage: test
  before_script:
    # Pin Sphinx to a particular major version
    - python3 -m venv ~/docs-venv
    - source ~/docs-venv/bin/activate
    - pip install "sphinx<3"
    - pushd path/to/docs
  script: make SPHINXOPTS="-W" html
  artifacts:
    paths:
      - path/to/docs/_build/
  only:
    refs:
      - merge_requests
      - main

After that, you just deploy documentation changes to a particular branch
updates:

pages:
  stage: deploy
  dependencies:
    - docs
  script:
    - mv path/to/docs/_build/ public/
  artifacts:
    paths:
      - public
  only:
    refs:
      - main

And that's about it. This gives you CI that catches any incorrectly
formatted/invalid documentation, provide reviewers with easy-to-view
HTML versions of proposed docs in the merge request, and automatically
deploys updates when changes are pushed to the main branch.

Of course, my only real reason for preferring this approach is that I've
done it a couple times and I'm very familiar with Sphinx. I don't have
any objection to doing it a different way.

- Jeremy