[Nouveau] Regression in 5.15 in nouveau

Christian König christian.koenig at amd.com
Mon Dec 6 13:41:56 UTC 2021

Thanks Thorsten for CCing me on your reply.

I was somehow not CCed on the original problem report.

Am 06.12.21 um 14:19 schrieb Thorsten Leemhuis:
> [SNIP]
>
> On 04.12.21 17:40, Stefan Fritsch wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> when updating from 5.14 to 5.15 on a system with NVIDIA GP108 [GeForce
>> GT 1030] (NV138) and Ryzen 9 3900XT using kde/plasma on X (not wayland),
>> there is a regression: There is now some annoying black flickering in
>> some applications, for example thunderbird, firefox, or mpv. It mostly
>> happens when scrolling or when playing video. Only the window of the
>> application flickers, not the whole screen. But the flickering is not
>> limited to the scrolled area: for example in firefox the url and
>> bookmark bars flicker, too, not only the web site. I have bisected the
>> issue to this commit:
>>
>> commit 3e1ad79bf66165bdb2baca3989f9227939241f11 (HEAD)
>> Author: Christian König <christian.koenig at amd.com>
>> Date:   Sun Jun 6 11:50:15 2021 +0200
>>
>>      drm/nouveau: always wait for the exclusive fence
>>
>>      Drivers also need to to sync to the exclusive fence when
>>      a shared one is present.

Mhm, that is really strange. The patch shouldn't have any functional
effect, but just makes an already established rule more straight forward.

Let me double check the code once more.

Regards,
Christian.