[Nouveau] Building a Free as in Freedom PC

Joseph Kraemer jkremer952 at gmail.com
Sun May 30 00:23:23 UTC 2021

Hello,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question. I didn't see an
answer under the FAQ, so I figured I'd send an email.

I want to build a PC that is free as in freedom. I know one can build a
tower without a hitch that meets the respects your freedom certification,
but I'm wondering if a Nvidia graphics card can be added to it with the
nouveau driver. If I use the nouveau driver, is it a totally free system?
Or does the card itself have proprietary firmware running on it? Can some
cards be free and others not, similar to how Libreboot only supports
certain hardware? If it does vary based on the card, how can I tell what
cards would be free?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Joseph