[Nouveau] hardware donation

Linux User #330250 linuxuser330250 at gmx.net
Tue Oct 26 19:56:03 UTC 2021

Hello!

I have a ThinkPad T61 with an Nvidia Quadro G86M [NVS 140M] graphics
card. Recently the nvidia binary driver, version 340.x, has been removed
from most Linux distributions, forcing the use of nouveau.

In the past, when nouveau was unstable/unusable, people moved to the
binary driver. Since this in no longer an option, nouveau is now the
only option. And I'm totally okay with it, I would have prferred an open
source solution anyway... BUT.

BUT nouveau is unstable. I experience random freezes, like others too:

The only option was to use nomodeset and to have an unaccelerated
graphics output. But if you want to use the laptop as a desktop machine,
this is not much fun.

Long story short, the question I have:

According to https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/HardwareDonations.html such
a graphics card could be of use?