[Nouveau] RTX 3070 / NV174 / GA104 - is there any development happening?

Karol Herbst kherbst at redhat.com
Wed Sep 1 22:24:50 UTC 2021

On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 11:19 PM Przemo Firszt <przemo at firszt.eu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can you advise if there is any work happening on NV174 / GA104 (market
> name RTX 3070)? I checked the features matrix and searched the code of
> kernel, mesa, libdrm and xf86-video-nouveau. The only thig that seems
> to be ready is kernel mode setting and the only piece of code showing
> any results when searching for the code names is the linux kernel:
>
> $ grep -ERi 'ga104|fv170|fv174'
> grep: linux/.git/objects/pack/pack-
> ab4e07c9b3c4ddb7ed2970684121a5c4b7ddfb1d.pack: binary file matches
> linux/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nvkm/engine/device/base.c:        .name
> = "GA104",
>
> Is there any developmen happening in the public space? I'd like to
> support it (coding, testing, donating money) as I have a laptop with
> that card.

Sadly there isn't much you can do right now as the next step is to
wait until Nvidia releases and publishes firmware files in order to
enable acceleration in Nouveau. Once that happens we will enable
OpenGL on those GPUs and then everybody is welcomed to report bugs and
so on. But atm it just stalls on the initial enablement of those
pieces. The firmware would land in the linux-firmware repository under
nvidia/ga104 for your GPU.