[Nouveau] Ubuntu 22.04 LTS system freezes 5 minutes then unlocks on nouveau, was stable on 20.04 w/nvidia

David G. Pickett dgpickett at aol.com
Thu Aug 18 18:02:50 UTC 2022

When I chose to upgrade from Ubuntu 20.04 LTS to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (Long Term Stable now seems a bit unrealistic), for some reason they removed my nvidia drivers and installed nouveau.  My system freezes intermittently for about 5 minutes when graphically active apps like Firefox, Chrome, GNUCash are running.  I am limping along with Chrome set to not use hardware acceleration, a setting both sad and amazingly odd!  I recall having a similar problem in 20.04 until I switched to nvidia proprietary drivers.  I might do that again, but the controls to do that successfully seem to be harder to find, and maybe 22.04 thinks that they are incompatible.  I destroyed my bootability trying to install using the nvidia 340 run file when it failed to make a kernel, and had to reload the whole OS.  My GPU is an nVidia GT218 [GeForce 210], NVA8, rather old, now nominally supported by the nvidia 340 series libraries.  My system is an Hewlett-Packard p6803w, AMD® Athlon(tm) ii x2 220 processor × 2, with SSD and 16 GB RAM.  Ubuntu 22.04.1, Gnome 42.2, Wayland, with all current updates.

How can I help you find the bug?  Being both a 20 year hardware and 25 year software computer veteran, I can follow requests pretty well.

BTW, nouveau does not allow BOINC apps to run on the GPU, which nvidia supported under 20.04.

I'd hate to have to remove my GPU (the motherboard has a primitive one), or replace the GPU if any compatible ones are still available, or replace my computer to get a stable system.