[Nouveau] Patch to TroubleShooting.html

Klaus Ebbe Grue grue at di.ku.dk
Sun Aug 28 10:23:14 UTC 2022

Hi Nouveau

Whoever is in charge of the web-pages, could I persuade you to make a minor update of

https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/TroubleShooting.html

It says (among others)

One option is to provide a custom EDID. You can do this by adding drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=VGA-1:edid/your_edid.bin to the kernel command line.

But drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware is deprecated. Furthermore, there is no mention that the custom edid should be placed in /lib/firmware. And now we are at it, one can supply more than one edid. So I would suggest to change the above to eg

One option is to provide a custom EDID. You can do this by creating the directory /lib/firmware/edid (if it does not exist) and placing your custom edid file(s) there. Then add drm.edid_firmware=connector1:edid/your_edid_1.bin,connector2:edid/your_edid_2.bin,... to the kernel command line. That will make the system use your_edid_1 for whatever is attached to connector1 and so on. As an example, drm.edid_firmware=DP-1:edid/foo.bin will use /lib/firmware/edid/foo.bin for whatever is attached to DisplayPort 1.

Cheers,

Klaus