[Nouveau] Nvidia GK106GLM (Quadro K2100M) with Nouveau

Martin Knoblauch knobi at knobisoft.de
Tue Mar 15 09:55:39 UTC 2022

On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 10:42 PM Ilia Mirkin <imirkin at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 5:30 PM Martin Knoblauch <knobi at knobisoft.de> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 7:45 PM Ilia Mirkin <imirkin at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Martin,
> > >
> > > Depends what your expectations are. Nouveau is missing a number of
> > > features of the blob, the most important of which is probably
> > > stability. Whether you run into instability or not depends a lot on
> > > the software that you use, so you'll just have to find out for
> > > yourself if it works well for you or not. Personally, I have
> > > multi-month uptimes with it. But others struggle to stay up for an
> > > hour.
> > >
> > > With GK106, you should have manual reclocking, which should enable you
> > > to achieve ~50-80% of blob performance, if that's a concern for you.
> > > You won't get Vulkan nor H.264 hardware encoding.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > >   -ilia
> > >
> > Hi Ilia,
> >
> >  most of my expectations would be met, if I were able to get a decent
> > resolution from the GK106. As it is the card is not recognized, and it
> > falls back to VESA with 1280x1024 which is pathetic. I have not much
> > need or expectation on speed.
>
> That's not normal. Please post logs. Perhaps you have nouveau
> blacklisted or something like that? Nouveau should definitely
> recognize your card.
>
>   -ilia
Hi Ilia,

 thanks for providing the correct clue: "blacklisted". I had removed
one blacklist command from /etc/modprobe.d, but the proprietary
installer had left another at /usr/lib/modprobe.d. Kicked that out and
now I have 1920x1080 and all my stuff is working fine :-)

Btw card is recognized as "NVIDIA NVE6". Does that make sense?

Cheers
Martin