[Nouveau] Hardware decoding in video playback with Nvidia GT 218 (NVA8)

Joe joe.on.list at gmail.com
Mon May 30 12:12:54 UTC 2022

First of all really thanks for your quick reply!
I followed your suggests:
$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nouveau.conf
Section "Device"
        Identifier "Nvidia card"
        Driver "nouveau"
        Option   "DRI" "3"
EndSection
----------------

After rebooting, I test various ways, by using mpv, with -vo=vdpau
-hwdec=vdpau",
using mplayer string you suggested in your link:

mplayer -vo vdpau -vc
ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,ffh264vdpau,ffodivxvdpau, <file>

But without luck...
With Option "DRI" "3", I also noticed a worse response during playback, video
colors not proper and after a bit it is blocked. I can't close mplayer window,
after pressing "q" whole system results crashed and have to hard power off
for rebooting again.

If you need more details about video file format used to test please
let me know,
anyway I tried with a 1080p video and 50 FPS, so that it should be a
bit lighter to
decode and manage by the low budget chip of my card.

I also would ask for a question: in your testing experience are you used same
GPU of mine GT218 (see details in my previous message) ?
Is it known it should be working on hardware video decoding with
nouveau drivers?

If some other tests or some involved software recompile could be solve
this issue,
I'm ready to follow your instructions for what are my skills (poor
skills!  ;) ).
Otherwise I'll give up and re-switch to nvidia closed drivers.

Thanks again!