[Nouveau] Fans ramping up randomly when idle

Timothy Madden terminatorul at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 15:01:00 UTC 2022

On 11/7/22 13:41, Karol Herbst wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 5, 2022 at 8:36 PM Timothy Madden <terminatorul at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello
>>
>> My Msi Gaming X Trio 2080 Ti randomly ramps up the fans with no way to recover
>> (I have to reboot) even when the card is idle or is only showing the desktop.
>>
>> This issue happens even when the card is not connected to a monitor.
>>
>> My dmesg output from nouveau is included below, I think the last 2 lines are
>> the relevant ones:
>> [ 9426.768449] nvidia-gpu 0000:0b:00.3: Unable to change power state from D3hot to D0, device inaccessible
>> [ 9427.889387] nvidia-gpu 0000:0b:00.3: i2c timeout error ffffffff
>>

> that's kind of odd, because "nvidia-gpu" implies you might have
> multiple drivers here? Though .3 should be some USB/UCSI or something
> related sub device on the GPU and Nvidia might have messed it up
> (adding the maintainer of the i2c-nvidia-gpu driver on CC).

Is there a way to check for multiple drivers ? I have openSUSE
Tumbleweed at version 2022-11-08, and I did not install proprietary or
other NVIDIA drivers.

> Anyway, the fans are probably controlled by the Laptops firmware and

I meant the fans on the graphics card. No laptop here, my desktop
computer has a Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 5 WiFi motherboard with the
latest UEFI from gigabyte web site.