[Nouveau] Problem with NVIDIA Quadro FX-2800m

Karol Herbst kherbst at redhat.com
Mon Aug 14 11:58:28 UTC 2023

On Sat, Aug 12, 2023 at 8:12 AM Wolfram Sauerteig
<wsauerteig at t-online.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> since one  of the last nouveau driver updates I've got a problem with my Thinkpad W701. A couple of seconds after having started X11/KDE Plasma
> the Desktop freezes, only the mouse pointer is still moveable. System ist therefore unusable.
> The Logs (/var/log/dmesg) show thousands of lines reading 'gr: TRAP_PROP - TP 5 - Unknown CUDA fault at address ...', see log file appended.
>
> Linux without GUI starts and runs as well as Windows 10 on the same machine without any problems.
>

> Hardware:
> LENOVO Thinkpad W701 model 25002EG/25002EG, BIOS 6KET60WW (1.30 ) 10/24/2012
> Core i7 920XM
> 32 GB RAM
> NVIDIA Quadro FX-2800M 1GB RAM
> SSD 2Tb data (Samsung SSD 870)
> SSD 512Mb system (Samsung SSD 850)
>
> Software:
> Linux 6.1.41-gentoo #2 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Aug  3 09:51:42 CEST 2023 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 920 @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
> X.Org X Server 1.21.1.8
> kde-plasma/plasma-meta-5.27.6:5::gentoo
> sys-firmware/nvidia-firmware-340.32-r1::gentoo
> x11-drivers/xf86-video-nouveau-1.0.17::gentoo
>
> Does anyone have an idea how to resolve the problem?
> Might that be a hardware problem?

probably a kernel problem. As you seem to be on gentoo, would you feel
comfortable to figure out what kernel version regressed it? You could
use `git bisect` for that and it might take a while, but that's the
best approach to help out fixing that bug. Do you still know what was
the last good kernel? Maybe I can check the git log and see if
anything stands out or to try out.