[Ocs] Fans/Like API

Frank Karlitschek karlitschek at kde.org
Tue May 17 00:18:08 PDT 2011

On 16.05.2011, at 21:24, Josef Spillner wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> At the sprint we were pondering about running something similar to a service-
> independent Like provider at some point in the future.
> This would however mean to change the API of the Like module to also accept
> references to external sources instead of the (possibly activated) content
> within the same OCS instance.
> Also, it cannot be named OpenLike, unfortunately. But ownLike would probably
> work :)

Hehe. I think this is a very very interesting idea.
One of the areas where someone, perhaps we, should do something agains the like data silos.

> There's already a JavaScript thing called OpenLike (v1 and v2, both of which
> have demos which don't seem to work for me at the moment) which acts as a web
> widget to access web-based Like services.
> In v2, domains for likeable objects were added which seem to be limited.
> Furthermore, the widget JavaScript code has the Like services hardcoded and
> always loads graphics directly from them, thus exposing the user's identity
> needlessly. Interesting idea, but rather sloppy implementation.
>
> Currently, all of the supported services have site-specific APIs. Hence,
> OpenLike amusingly only refers to closed Like services and there is indeed a
> niche for an open, independent API to store Likes which can be implemented by
> any website or service provider.
>
> For the desktop, Konqueror could have a "Like" button which supports this API
> as soon as the first Like provider has been configured, thus rendering all
> web-based Like widgets obsolete and giving the user full control.
> The same button could be used in OCS client software such as the content
> download dialogue (aka GHNS).

We should definitely add the external source to the like module to be prepared to
launch something like in the future.

I think we have to think about something like this a bit more and have to drink a
few more beers together before launching an initiative like this. :-)

But I think an independent like system  is very needed and we could and should push this with OCS

Cheers
Frank

--
Frank Karlitschek