[ohm] monitoring INPUT state

Gross, Mark mark.gross at intel.com
Mon Jul 9 08:18:47 PDT 2007

This sounds scary to me.  We don't want to make the processor more busy
when trying to save battery life buy running a busy loop daemon for
kicking a watch dog looking for inactivity at the UI level.

I like the idea of an inactivity watch dog facility.  It would help to
understand the different classes of subsystem inactivity one needs a
watchdog on.  From this thread I see we only have xorg inactivity.

But, I can imagine: disk inactivity, audio inactivity, network
inactivity, process inactivity, interrupt inactivity.  Where each
"could" have a watchdog event go off to wake up some user mode process
or kernel preference.

>A, good example: An ebook reader which does auto scrolling - the user
>does not make inputs but simply reads the book. Here you the X11 idle
>counter and the input/event would methods would fool you.

Auto scrolling without user input?  That won't be too useable for me.