[ohm] monitoring INPUT state

Nils Faerber nils.faerber at kernelconcepts.de
Mon Jul 9 08:27:31 PDT 2007

Gross, Mark schrieb:
[...]
>> For the idle usecase say... as a third source you could have a
>> deliberate "unidle" source, i.e. an application could want to trogger
>> the idle "watchdog" manually. This would be a third source (i.e. X11,
>> input/event/*, manual unidle). This could be useful for applications
>> that want to prevent the system to perform idle actions - not very
>> brilliant example since it could also disable the idle timer but then
> it
>> could clash with the service that sets that values (which should be
>> session settings?).
>
> This sounds scary to me.  We don't want to make the processor more busy
> when trying to save battery life buy running a busy loop daemon for
> kicking a watch dog looking for inactivity at the UI level.
>
> I like the idea of an inactivity watch dog facility.  It would help to
> understand the different classes of subsystem inactivity one needs a
> watchdog on.  From this thread I see we only have xorg inactivity.

And this xorg idle is bound to input devices which is IMHO pretty weak.

> But, I can imagine: disk inactivity, audio inactivity, network
> inactivity, process inactivity, interrupt inactivity.  Where each
> "could" have a watchdog event go off to wake up some user mode process
> or kernel preference.
>
>> A, good example: An ebook reader which does auto scrolling - the user
>> does not make inputs but simply reads the book. Here you the X11 idle
>> counter and the input/event would methods would fool you.
>
> Auto scrolling without user input?  That won't be too useable for me.

I know at least half a dozen of people near me that use this almost
daily to read ebooks - an application renders the text and does smooth
scrolling. Ideally the spead is tuned to your reading speed so you have
a contiuous reading experience - quite convenient.

And this is just one example...

Cheers
  nils faerber

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48    Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen             Mob: +49-176-21024535