[ohm] monitoring INPUT state

Nils Faerber nils.faerber at kernelconcepts.de
Fri Jun 29 09:24:54 PDT 2007

Richard Hughes schrieb:
> On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 17:49 +0200, Nils Faerber wrote:
>> Oh oh... probable misunderstanding here...
>> I thought that it might be a good design decision to create first an
>> idle plugin which will handle aggrgating data to decide if an idle
>> state
>> is reached and possibly which state of idleness.
>> X11 and the input events would then serve as data input plugins for
>> this
>> idle module.
> Yes, totally agree. See the current git structure where we have "glue"
> and "policy". A plugin in glue would set a "system.idle 45" (seconds)
> and a plugin in policy would do something. This lets us have clever
> policy plugins like backlight that need several dependent sources.

OK, great!

>> Else you might end up with two plugins that both measure idleness
>> differently and have to decide one idle over the other - which is
>> idler,
>> X11 idle or input idle?
> Only one would be running at the same time I would hope.

Hmm...

>> It could be useful too to have both source activated but then you have
>> to make a choice.
> How do you mean?

For the idle usecase say... as a third source you could have a
deliberate "unidle" source, i.e. an application could want to trogger
the idle "watchdog" manually. This would be a third source (i.e. X11,
input/event/*, manual unidle). This could be useful for applications
that want to prevent the system to perform idle actions - not very
brilliant example since it could also disable the idle timer but then it
could clash with the service that sets that values (which should be
session settings?).
A, good example: An ebook reader which does auto scrolling - the user
does not make inputs but simply reads the book. Here you the X11 idle
counter and the input/event would methods would fool you.

I could also try to imagine other use cases where idleness is not always
connected to input systems only and where it would be handy to be able
to watch two or more sources of information.

> R.
Cheers
  nils faerber

--
kernel concepts GbR      Tel: +49-271-771091-12
Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48  Fax: +49-271-771091-19