[ohm] OHM vs. PPM

Marcel Holtmann marcel at holtmann.org
Wed Apr 30 09:11:14 PDT 2008

Hi Rob,

> > might be a quite provoking subject, however, I like to attract some
> >
> > For quite some while now, I'm looking into finding a replacement (and
> > starting to become active in the development for it), for the powersave
> > daemon we use on openSUSE based distributions. Actually it's about the
> > question: "Who does the power management job when there's no desktop
> > applet?"
> >
> > Obviously, two frameworks caught my eye... open-hardware-manager (OHM [1])
> > and the power-policy-manager (PPM [2]). So I have a couple of questions:
> >
> >  1. Is OHM aught to be used on usual desktop/laptop systems? I mean, it
> >     would be a valid target to define that OHM is "just" meant for
> >     embedded devices and thus, development wouldn't consider
> >     problems/drawbacks on the desktop side.
>
> OHM needs some work before its usable on a desktop system, mainly in
> that it should become a session daemon rather than a system daemon -
> connecting up to X from the system is not ideal.

why? Leave it as system daemon and have an "agent" running in the X
session that OHM can refer requests to. You might wanna check out on how
BlueZ does it with PIN requests and mode change confirmations.

D-Bus works beautiful for us in these cases. You can even easily monitor
if an agent process dies etc.

Regards

Marcel