[ohm] OHM vs. PPM

Holger Macht holger at homac.de
Thu Mar 27 12:10:57 PDT 2008

Hi,

might be a quite provoking subject, however, I like to attract some

For quite some while now, I'm looking into finding a replacement (and
starting to become active in the development for it), for the powersave
daemon we use on openSUSE based distributions. Actually it's about the
question: "Who does the power management job when there's no desktop
applet?"

Obviously, two frameworks caught my eye... open-hardware-manager (OHM [1])
and the power-policy-manager (PPM [2]). So I have a couple of questions:

 1. Is OHM aught to be used on usual desktop/laptop systems? I mean, it
    would be a valid target to define that OHM is "just" meant for
    embedded devices and thus, development wouldn't consider
    problems/drawbacks on the desktop side.

 2. Are you guys in contact in any kind with the PPM Intel developers?

 3. As I understand it, OHM is more than PPM. It doesn't exclusively look
    at power management, but also on other aspects. Due to it's plugin
    system, it could be used for any kind of things. Same plugin system in
    PPM, but with the difference that PPM's defined target is just power
    management AFAICT. So, at first glance, there are duplicate
    development efforts. Again ;-) I mean, we had so many different
    implementations (scripts, C++ daemons, etc..) in the past, so I think
    it's time to agree on one single framework. At least I have to choose
    one :-) Any statement about that?

I already checked out both frameworks and gave them a quick try, both
seemed to work, at least to a certain extend. But "remaining issues" which
can be fixed are not a problem here.

Thanks,
	Holger

[1] http://ohm.freedesktop.org/wiki/