[Openchrome-devel] newbiw wants to help :)

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton
Tue Dec 2 16:03:20 PST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> David Rene Comba Lareu wrote:
>> i dont receive any answer about this, maybe you dont want help in
>> this project? tell me and i leave this whiteout problem :D
>
> I do think that help would be appreciated, but there is too much work
> to do for any of the developers to spoon-feed developers in training.
>
> I suggest you just start reading source code to learn X and how 3D
> fits in. (That might take six months of studies, rough estimate.)
>

>> i'm really a noob in driver programming so if you can give me a
>> guide of where i can start better :D (and tell me if i can help in
>> any way now :) )
>
> Your lack of experience with C and driver development means that you
> have a long learning curve to climb filled with things that are
> really neccessary to understand to work on the actual problem you
> would like to help solve.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I do not want to discourage you from
> participating, just be aware that you have a lot of work ahead of
> you, and most likely you can't depend on anyone else holding your
> hand. Sorry. :\
>
> The only starting point I can suggest is to study xorg-server
> internals.

I would also suggest picking a bug in the openchrome.org tracker and
getting the openchrome source and trying to fix a small bug.  I
understand everyone wants great 3d and bling, but learning on the 2d
driver is much easier to wrap your head around.

We are working with VIA to move forward on a next generation 3d driver
for the Chrome based hardware.  You can start looking over the work
that Thomas has done in the ttm_branch in order to start learning
about the underpinnings of the new memory manager and hardware
interfaces.

Glad to have you aboard.

Jon