[Openchrome-devel] Openchrome status

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton
Fri Feb 15 17:54:23 PST 2008

On Feb 15, 2008 6:23 AM, Benno Schulenberg <bensberg at justemail.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Xavier Bachelot wrote:
> > - libpciaccess support (Jon)
>
> Out of curiosity: what extra possibilities does libpciaccess
> provide?  Or is it no more than a reworked method for registering a
> device and allocating memory, for newer X servers?
>
> > - HW cursor improvement (Gabriel)
>
> With this you mean the HW cursor stuff that is already in the randr
> branch, Xavier?  Or should that be improved further?
>
> > - Code clean up (Benno)
>
> I'd like to continue with this, but am holding off partly to not
> further disturb the files that Gabriel is probably working on, and
> partly because other things always seem to be more important.
>
> >  From what I gather from the bug reports, mailing list and irc,
> > here's a highly subjective list of openchrome's most wanted
> > features, in decreasing order :  [...]
>
> To which I'd like to add, in first place:
> -  Not to have lockups, crashes, or black screens.
>
> > Similarly, it would be good to merge as much code as possible in
> > the trunk to get wider exposure. I mostly think of the randr
> > branch, which seems pretty helpful to a a lot of people.
>
> Agreed.  But it would be nice to have the gamma regression fixed
> first.
>
> > I hope better documentation would help with attracting more people
> > willing to answer user questions.
>
> Better documentation would hopefully prevent most user questions. :)
> But that's a vain hope -- when openchrome gets distributed more,
> there will be more questions, and especially more silly ones.
>
> > The bug tracker is also not
> > really helpful as new bugs are not posted to the mailing list,
>
> Such posts to the mailing list would be very useful yes.  Can trac
> be made to do that?
>
> > anonymous reports are allowed
>
> Very annoying indeed.
>
> > and we have a huge backlog of
> > unanswered and badly/not triaged bugs.
>
> I would like to attack this, but am reluctant to close bugs, afraid
> to hide useful information from sight.  But if you tell me "do as
> you see fit; if a bug is important, someone will refile it", I'll
> go ahead.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Benno

Hey guys,

I have not forsaken you all, just been a bit busy.  I am going to try
and get caught up this weekend.  I am switching into fixing up things
in Rawhide that are problems before the next beta.  This will include
full openchrome compatibility.   I want our project to shine come
Fedora 9 release.

Jon