[Openchrome-devel] Another openchrome drm segfault

Xavier Bachelot xavier
Sat Feb 7 08:45:00 PST 2009

Thomas Hellstr?m wrote:
> Xavier Bachelot wrote:

>> Today, the issue with 3D is a bit different. glgears works (370 fps,
>> which is about half what I have with the old unichrome_dri), but all 3D
>> software are crashing because the openchrome driver tries to use some
>> SSE instructions and my CPU can't do that, although the lack of SSE is
>> correctly acknowledged in the xorg log...
>>

> OK. that gives me a place to look.
>
> More questions to help the performance up:
>
> What system is this? CPU? cache size? Chipset?
# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 4
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) processor
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1099.960
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up
bogomips        : 2199.92
clflush size    : 32
power management:

Chipset is KM400A.

> What kind of cpu usage are you seeing with the new 3D driver and gears?
> system / user?

40% user / 20% system / 370 fps

> What happens if you issue
> echo "performance" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
> as root, and rerun gears?

This proc doesn't support cpufreq.

> What happens if you load the openchrome kernel module using
> modprobe openchrome disable_verifier=1
> before starting X.

35% user / 13% system / 430 fps

With the via drm and regular openchrome driver, mesa, etc..., I have :
30% user / 70% system / 470 fps

It seems I had the number wrongs, it's nowhere near half the
performances, but it's still noticeably below. The cpu usage is way
better though, with or w/o the command verifier.

Regards,
Xavier