[Openchrome-devel] K8M890 chipset support

Thomas Hellström thomas
Thu Feb 26 00:32:32 PST 2009

Xavier Bachelot wrote:
> Bartosz Kosiorek wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I have a big problem.
>> When I try to enable some 2d graphic (game)
>> or type "glxgears", the error displays:
>>
>> fire_buffer: DRM_VIA_PCICMD returned -22
>>
>> I think this error displays, because the DRM is not supported for
>> VT3336 chipset.
>>
>> VT3336 (K8M890) is a chipset for AMD Athlon/K8 CPU. Due to K8's unique
>> architecture, the AGP resource and behavior are different from
>> the traditional AGP which resides only in chipset.
>>
>> Is it possible to get some documentation from VIA company, about AGP
>> and DRM for VT3336 chipset?
>> Is it hard to implement AGP (and DRM) VT3336 to openchrome driver ?
>>
>> Best Regards
>> Bartosz
>>

> Beside the Chrome9 documentation VIA already released and that is linked
> from the wiki[1], there is also a couple patches introducing a dedicated
> Chrome9 drm driver VIA submitted for kernel inclusion[2] which are
> probably a good information source. I believe the preferred path for
> Chrome9 DRM is to add support for it to the new openchrome drm module
> Thomas is working on at the moment[3].

Some additional comments:

If this is an AGP chipset, they it will probably use The K8 AGPGART,
with the amd64-agp,ko linux driver. The K8M800 does that.

When it comes to DRM / 3D, it's probably at least a man-years worth of
work to build a 3D driver from scratch.

/Thomas