[Openchrome-devel] Future of via drm and unichrome 3D driver.

Thomas Hellström thomas
Thu Jul 23 06:53:59 PDT 2009

BenjaminPan at viatech.com wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> How are you lately?
> VIA recently took lots of heat from our request for chrome9 DRM driver to be included in main. Most criticisms are centered around that we don't have an open source 3D code to use it. Duo to Michael Larabel's reports in January http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njk3NQ,
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njk4MA, and again
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzAxMQ, many are under the impression that VIA deliberately deviated from the goal we set out to do and don't want to work with open source. But they don't know is we wanted to merge our DRM with your codes back then but still cannot find them 6 months after Michael told people they are out. That's why we had to patch via DRM and submit chrome9 DRM again for our upcoming major release. But it is getting harder as people got wrong perception from these kind of misinformation.

Hi, Benjamin!
People easily get the wrong impression and it's sometimes difficult to
get it right again. Particularly when someone "Big" in open-source
speaks up and get things wrong.

Anyway, the status of CX700 and older open-source next-generation is the
following:

1) The openchrome TTM drm module is in drm.git
git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/mesa/drm branch modesetting-newttm.
I'm currently working on fixing up the user-space interface, because
Dave Airlie wanted it done differently. I'ts based on the same TTM that
radeon uses plus some extra functionality. I plan to try and get this
merged into the kernel staging directory for 2.6.32 if everything works out.
2) The openchrome CX700 and earlier 3D driver sits in mesa,
openchrome-branch. It's quite elaborate with support for OpenGL 1.3,
S3TC, GL_EXT_framebuffer objects and accelerated pixel-buffer-objects
where possible. It's TTM-driven and uses linux high-resolution timers to
reduce CPU-usage.
3) The openchrome TTM 2D driver sits on the ttm_branch of the openchrome
repository. I't doesn't currently support XvMC.

So the phoronix articles aren't completely incorrect. The code isn't
just ready for upstreaming yet, and it's not for the Chrome9 yet.
Please understand that I'm working full time for another employee and I
have an 8 month old son to take care of, so the amount spent on the VIA
drivers is currently spent making previous work ready for release, and
that's on the little spare time I have.

> As today, DRM files in the openchrome source (rev. 758) are snapshots from last September. What's the status of the TTM for chrome9?

TTM for chrome9 would not be that hard to add. It looks like it's a
matter of writing a TTM backend for the PCI gart,
engine initialization and support for the fence capabilities of the
device, but there is no Chrome9 specific code in there yet.

> And how mature is Gallium3D today?

Gallium3D v 0.3 which is in mesa master, I'd say is mature enough to
write a driver on.

> We plan to add DRI2, TTM, and GLSL support
Does the Chrome9 shader language support glsl? I was under the
impression that there are no branching instructions?

>  over the next few months. We can add them to the existing private code, or start an open source project to rewrite the entire 3D driver with structure based on Mesa. We barely have enough resource to do the former. The effort of the latter is of course much bigger. So without sufficient expert opinion for what can we leverage, it is hard to reach consensus that now is time to do so. Can you help us on that?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Benjamin Pan

Benjamin, it depends on what you want to achieve. If you need a driver
to hand out to customers the easy part is probably to continue using the
private driver, but if you want acceptance in the open source community,
I think you should go ahead and

a) Release the shader docs to a broader public.
b) Start an open-source 3D driver effort for Chrome9. I think the best
option is to base that on Gallium3D. The difficult thing is to attract
talented developers and they seem to prefer the Radeon and Nvidia hardware.
c) Start an effort to integrate Chrome9 and kernel modesetting with the
new Chrome9 chipsets.

/Thomas