[Openchrome-devel] Testing kms_branch r941 on 2.6.38.8 kernel

James Simmons jsimmons
Fri Aug 12 05:56:03 PDT 2011

> > On 08/08/2011 02:23 PM, Natanael Copa wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Just a short feedback. I saw there was some commits in kms_branch
> > > so I gave it a test run.
> > >
> > > I tested running it with no xorg.conf at all with the Alpine Linux
> > > default kernel (2.6.38.8 + grsecurity patch). The result was that it
> > > didn't start X at all.
> > >
> > > I am not sure what to expect from it at this point but it looks
> > > like it depends on the kernel driver.
> > >
> > > What does look nice is that it detected the correct size of my
> > > screen :)
> > >
> > > Attached is the Xorg.0.log.
> > >
> > > The lspci output:
> > > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
> > > CN896/VN896/P4M900 [Chrome 9 HC] (rev 01)
> > >
> > > Thanks for working on this driver!
> > > -nc
> > >
> > The via drm driver in mainline kernel doesn't know about the P4M900
> > and thus is not loading. Then because of this, the X driver is
> > returning an error to the xserver when trying to init the screen
> > which is probably a bit too much, as drm should not be needed. From a
> > quick glance, may be removing line 1469 in via_driver.c will get you
> > further.
>
> Indeed. Removing the removing that line makes Xorg start. Just lke with
> the drm-openchrome kernel the CPU consumption is very high. X eats
> constantly 20-80% CPU and logs show lots of:

Do a update now. The X server should work without DRI support, with
current DRI support and TTM enabled DRM support. Yes without DRI it will
be slowwwww but it works.

> [  7222.314] pSrc is NULL
> [  7222.646] pSrc is NULL
> [  7222.646] pSrc is NULL
> [  7222.653] pSrc is NULL
> [  7222.653] pSrc is NULL
> [  7223.979] pSrc is NULL
> [  7234.509] pSrc is NULL
> [  7242.748] pSrc is NULL
>
> Still, a step forward. Thanks!

EXA work arounds :-( Now that we have some what functioning TTM layer I
shoudl rework the xorg's exa code to take advantage of it.