[Openchrome-devel] Early TTM patch

James Simmons jsimmons
Fri Jan 28 11:52:28 PST 2011

> On 01/26/2011 12:43 PM, Daniel Drake wrote:
> > On 19 January 2011 01:20, Xavier Bachelot <xavier at bachelot.org> wrote:
> >> Testing on a VX900 laptop with drm-next + your patch + 2 others patches.
> >> One adds some Chrome9 pciids (patch 2)
> >
> > I suspect that patch is incorrect or at least a bit premature.
> > Chrome9 requires changes to the existing code, it won't just be a case
> > of adding IDs.
> > VIA submitted a totally separate DRM driver (see
> > http://marc.info/?a=123010403800004&r=1&w=2) for this hardware.
> >
> > If the hardware really is disimilar, then having a separate DRM driver
> > probably makes sense (and this probably leads to a different X.org
> > driver too). But I'm not sure to what extent that is the case.
> >
> Chrome9 chipsets are severely restricted currently. adding the pci ids
> shouldn't hurt.
>
> Here's the initial commit adding Chrome9 "support" :
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/drm/commit/?id=a16a8a47cdb04e29f5d8ed05403f21714f7aaf9d

The only reason to do a seperate DRM driver would be in the case the
hardware is totally different. This means even the display handling which
I doubt is the case. We will end up looking like the nouveau driver which
also spans several generations of hardware. Thanks for the links. Its sad
alot of good patches got drop. I hope as we go down this road this will
happen less often.