[Openchrome-devel] KMS, TTM/GEM status

Natanael Copa ncopa
Fri Jun 10 02:19:35 PDT 2011

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 16:02:12 +0100 (BST)
James Simmons <jsimmons at infradead.org> wrote:

Thanks alot for the work you are doing with VIA drivers!

> DRM kernel branch, remember that KMS is off by default, for good
> reason -
>
> git://anongit.freedesktop.org/~jsimmons/drm-openchrome
>
> For the xorg driver
>
> http://svn.openchrome.org/svn/branches/kms_branch

> Check out both branches above and test them on your systems. I need
> to make sure no regressions happened. Also test out the kms_branch
> with the mainline VIA drm driver to make sure that works. Ideally I
> like to push out the xorg driver first so when the openchrome DRM
> kernel driver does go main line it will be ready to go.

I am currently running the drm-openchrome kernel with kms_branch
openchrome driver on Alpine Linux (with uclibc instead of glibc) on my
HP 2133 mininote. lspci reports:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
CN896/VN896/P4M900 [Chrome 9 HC] (rev 01)

So far everything seems to work smoothly.

I tried kms_branch with the default Alpine linux kernel
(2.6.38.7-grsec) but that didn't work. I'm not sure if that is due to
chrome9 not beeing supported in kernel or anything else.

I have also tried the xf86-video-chrome driver with no success at all.
Well, it did start when I had an external monitor connected on the VGA
port, also outputting to the LCD screen, but without VGA connected the
driver only said "no screens found" or similar.

Feel free to ping me if there is anything special you want tested.

Again, thanks alot for working on those drivers.

-nc