[Openchrome-devel] KMS, TTM/GEM status

James Simmons jsimmons
Wed Jun 22 09:56:59 PDT 2011

> James Simmons <jsimmons at infradead.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks alot for the work you are doing with VIA drivers!

No problem :-)

> I am currently running the drm-openchrome kernel with kms_branch
> openchrome driver on Alpine Linux (with uclibc instead of glibc) on my
> HP 2133 mininote. lspci reports:
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
> CN896/VN896/P4M900 [Chrome 9 HC] (rev 01)
>
> So far everything seems to work smoothly.

Thats good news :-) As a side not I just implemented KMS this weekend and
have not tried it with the openchrome xorg driver. xorg and KMS mode
setting don't usually play nice together.

> I tried kms_branch with the default Alpine linux kernel
> (2.6.38.7-grsec) but that didn't work. I'm not sure if that is due to
> chrome9 not beeing supported in kernel or anything else.

Can you post the Xorg logs to see what is happening. Also post the kernel
config to see what is enabled.

> I have also tried the xf86-video-chrome driver with no success at all.
> Well, it did start when I had an external monitor connected on the VGA
> port, also outputting to the LCD screen, but without VGA connected the
> driver only said "no screens found" or similar.

Is this with the Alpine kernel or drm-openchrome kernel ?

> Feel free to ping me if there is anything special you want tested.
>
> Again, thanks alot for working on those drivers.

Just send me logs. Especially the xorg logs which will give me insight
where I need to code to get things going on you laptop.