[Openchrome-devel] openchrome-0.3.0 testing on XO

Daniel Drake dsd
Wed Aug 1 15:34:09 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 4:05 PM, James Simmons <jsimmons at infradead.org> wrote:
>> X video is not working, tested with: gst-launch videotestsrc ! xvimagesink
>> It just produces an all-black window.
>> This is the same on openchrome-0.2.906 on the same setup, but this
>> definitely was working in the past (on older driver and/or older X
>> version).
>
> That is strange. Do you have X logs or is it the silent error type.

I'll get back to you.

>> Screen rotation doesn't work, it causes the gfx engine to die (tested
>> with: xrandr -o left)
>> (On 0.2.906 this instead failed with a BadMatch error.)
>
> Yeah I know about that one. I need to implement the crtc shadow functions.
> Also newer VIA hardware supports hardwware rotation. I was determine to
> push out a release instead of piling in another item to the changes. If it
> is critical for you guys I can look into implementing it.

It's not critical in that we aren't using openchrome at the moment.
However, this is one of the big things that we gained from moving to
the chrome driver: screen rotation (and good performance in rotated
modes) which is important for our platform.

I don't know the details, but I think we tried the standard
hardware-based screen rotation before, and failed.

Another option for screen rotation is to do what the geode X driver
does, which is just implement the ability to blit graphics from memory
onto the screen but rotated by the hardware. I think we may have
experimented briefly with this and not really succeeded. Some details:
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2010-October/030226.html

The other option is to use the 3D engine to rotate the screen, which
is what we're doing now with the chrome driver. This is working but
use of the 3D engine may be causing us a bit of a headache right now
(http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/12027).

Anyway, I'd definitely encourage you having a close (and fresh) look
at all these options and seeing what you can come up with when you get
time.

Thanks!
Daniel