[Openchrome-devel] Code is moving to git on freedesktop.org

Natanael Copa ncopa
Fri Feb 3 00:49:20 PST 2012

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 23:14:26 +0100
Julien Viard de Galbert <julien at vdg.blogsite.org> wrote:

> Dear openchrome developers,
>
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 10:14:50PM +0100, Xavier Bachelot wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The openchrome Xorg driver subversion repository has been moved to
> > git on freedesktop.org.
> > All the history, branches and tags have been kept.
> >
> >  From now on, please use the following command to checkout the
> > code : git clone
> > git://anongit.freedesktop.org/openchrome/xf86-video-openchrome
> >
> > The openchrome DRM tree has moved too.
> > Please use the following command to checkout the code :
> > git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/openchrome/drm-openchrome
> >
> > Both repositories can be browsed here :
> > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/openchrome
> >
> > I'll be updating the wiki in the next days.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Xavier
>
> Switching to git is a good news, the other day you were talking about
> doing a release (for a packaging that was not using svn snapshot if I
> remember well).
> I'm thinking that a new release could also help the versioning of
> debian packages, today it is: 0.2.904+svn920 where 0.2.904 is the
> release and 920 the svn snapshot revision.
> If the release changes, this would allow to go for any valid numbering
> for the git snapshots. But if it does not change I must find somthing
> that will be grater than +svn920.
> For instance ++git20120130 or +xgit20120130 but not +git20120130
> (as g < s).

I have similar "problem" with Alpine Linux. I think what would be great
is a 0.3 release since then we could get rid of whatever is used as
"patchlevel" after 0.2.904.

I am thinking of using the number of commits since last release tag:
(git describe --long | cut -d- -f2) as patchlevel

-nc