[Openchrome-devel] Fix vt1625 output sensing

Willem van Asperen willem at van.asperen.org
Mon Nov 26 08:05:01 PST 2012

On 11/26/2012 03:30 PM, Harry de Boer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have made some progress:
>
> - I updated the output sensing patch to support the VT1625S. The power
> register has the same layout as the status register. A 0 is always for
> the DACs that are not present, so writing all 1-bits and reading back
> the register results in a mask of which DACs are actually present.
>
> - The number of tv registers on the VT1625 is 0x82, not 0x6C. This
> should not matter for anything currently in place.
>
> - The tv screen is lighting up now. Apparently
> xf86OutputPtr->possible_crtcs should have a value of 1 or higher for
> it to be a valid configuration.
>
> Don't get excited yet, the output is a complete mess. It seems the
> driver only reports one modeline, 640x480, which I believe has never
> worked for me anyway. Only 720x576 worked. I guess that is because the
> some of the registers are not set correctly and 720x576 works because
> it is the default set by the BIOS (for PAL).

I cannot be NOT excited :) I agree that we should have 720x576 as that
is the PAL mode.
> But first I'll try to get the driver to report all supported
> modelines. Attached are the patches of what I have so far.
>
> On 23-11-12 00:40, Willem van Asperen wrote:
>> I've applied Harry's patch and it now correctly senses the TV-Out, so
>> good work Harry!
>
> I kind of expected it to work for you since we seem to have exactly
> the same board :-)
Cool. Fire away and I'll happily test it.

What strikes me is that the 0.2.906 driver DID work but the 0.3.x branch
fails. What has changed between 2 and 3 that makes it look like we (you)
have to go back to the drawing board to get the VT1625 working?

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
Willem