[Openchrome-devel] Mainlining KMS support?

Xavier Bachelot xavier at bachelot.org
Wed Nov 6 17:26:45 CET 2013

Hi Mario,

On 11/02/2013 05:29 AM, Mario Rugiero wrote:
> Hi, are there any news on the effort to mainline James Simmons' work on KMS support?

While KMS is working quite well and has some advantages over UMS, using
the newer drm driver has also some drawbacks, the main one being
disabling all acceleration, even when run in UMS mode. This needs to be
addressed before mainlining the code.
However, James has a set of patches that could already be sent as an
RFC, until the acceleration issue is addressed.
James could probably explain more on this.

> Also, I recall he stated he was interested in creating a Gallium3D driver, but I
> haven't seen any news.

Some preliminary work has been done, but nothing worth publishing yet,
afaik.
Same here, I'd rather let James give a proper status.

> On another subject, I'm interested in learning how to program drivers (I've got
> some experience in C, but none at driver or kernel development, so I'm not sure
> if I can really do it, but I want to try), so if anyone here can mentor me, I
> volunteer to help on this tasks.

As I wrote above, the main issue is acceleration, but there are other
things to look at. There's a page in the wiki with a todo lists :
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Openchrome/Development/
And also, there are some open bugs that might worth looking at.

Regards,
Xavier