[Openchrome-devel] Standardizing DRM / KMS development platform for drm-openchrome

Kevin Brace kevinbrace at gmx.com
Fri Apr 8 02:43:34 UTC 2016

I was finally able to install Xubuntu 14.04.4 LTS in a satisfactory fashion on 2 computers.
When I installed it, I noticed that Linux 4.2 kernel was installed, instead of Linux 3.13 or 3.14 kernel Ubuntu 14.04 based OSes installed in the past.
Apparently Canonical now aggressively updates their Linux kernels.
As I recall from 2 weeks or so ago, the original developer of VIA Technologies IGP DRM / KMS module, James Simmons, was using the latest TTM API, and as a result, it required the use of Linux 3.18 kernel to be able to compile his code without errors (I tried it with Linux 3.2 kernel source code, and I had a miserable 6 hours trying it . . .).
It is just my proposal, and let me know if anyone likes it.
I happened to use Xubuntu since it has a fairly light GUI that I prefer for software development purposes than straight Ubuntu.
If there is anyone else wishing to express their opinion, please feel free to do so.