[Openchrome-devel] [ANNOUNCE] OpenChrome Version 0.5 RC7 released

Kevin Brace kevinbrace at gmx.com
Sat Jul 2 11:02:11 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

I just released OpenChrome Version 0.5 RC7. (Version 0.4.906)
You can download the code from freedesktop.org OpenChrome Git repository. (https://cgit.freedesktop.org/openchrome/xf86-video-openchrome/)
I made number of reliability improvements to portions of the code supporting VT1632A TMDS (DVI) transmitter.
While the code to support VT1632A was donated to the OpenChrome project in January 2015, it appears that it was not vigorously tested prior to the inclusion into the master branch code.
In order to support the device from OpenChrome, number of bugs had to be fixed to make the donated code meaningful.
In order to test the improved code, Wyse Vx0 (CN700 chipset) and Cx0 (VX855 chipset) thin clients were used.
As long as Wyse DVI / VGA "Y cable" was not used, I have obtained comparable reliability between DVI and VGA (from a DVI to VGA adapter), including display detection and screen resolution support, in both thin client devices.
For those who could not use the DVI from VT1632A in the past, it is now working, and I am sure someone will be happy with that.
    For the Version 0.5 release cycle, RC7 will likely be the last RC that will fix major bugs still present in the code.
I will be doing a few more code cleanup work for RC8, and I hope RC8 will be the official Version 0.5 release version.
That being said, if you spot a major regression, please let me know as soon as possible before the official Version 0.5 release.
In the worst case, I can extend the RC testing period.
During the Version 0.5 RC testing, several major regressions were reported, and this is why we are at RC7.
Those regressions are now taken cared, and at this point, I expect Version 0.5 release version will be available in less than a week.

Regards,

Kevin Brace
OpenChrome Project Maintainer