[Openchrome-devel] Test Openchrome on VX800

Svenska svenska-bugs at arcor.de
Wed Jan 11 04:42:22 UTC 2017

Hi,

I have tested a recent version of Openchrome (0.5.178) on my "One A110"
netbook (Quanta IL1, VX800) again, without any xorg.conf, on a Debian
stretch/testing and a self-made kernel 4.9.1.

The internal display is correctly detected as FP-1 (older versions used
LVDS-1) and works fine without an external screen connected. Only the
native resolution of 800x480 is shown by Xrandr, which breaks some
application trying to change to the standard 640x480 resolution (mainly
games and DOSBox), but that's okay. (Older versions used to show
800x480, 720x480 and 640x480.)

After connecting a VGA screen and running "xrandr" without arguments,
the external screen comes alive while the internal display immediately
fades to white. Switching to a virtual console and back fixes this; this
happens whenever Openchrome reconfigures both screens. This is an
important regression compared to version 0.4.0.

Xrandr reports a maximum screen size of 2048x2048. However, enabling X
coordinates larger than 2040 leads to corruption (no crash). Both
panning and multi-monitoring work fine as long as the total screen width
does not exceed 2040. Even partly overlapping configurations work fine.

Unfortunately, scaling, rotation or other transformations do not work on
either screen (xrandr returns "Configure crtc 1 failed" (or crtc 0 for
VGA). I am really missing support for scaling, since it would make
dealing with quite many applications easier. (The Windows driver allows
up to 1024x768 on the internal display, making e.g. the VLC settings
screen fit on the display.)

The virtual console is not shown on a VGA screen (no signal), and is
unusable on the internal display if a VGA screen is connected and has
been detected by Openchrome. This is true even after turning it off
manually. After unplugging, the virtual console becomes usable again.

XVideo only works on a single screen (the internal display if it is
active, VGA if it is not). ACPI standby crashes the whole machine, with
the display fading to white. DPMS seems to work well.

Compared to version 0.4.0, Openchrome feels much more stable. It did not
crash throughout my testing, and switching to the virtual console fixed
most modesetting bugs. Thank you very much for your work!

If I may wish for a single thing, it would be support for scaling on the
internal display. Everything else works well enough for my needs.

I hope I am not annoying you by posting these mails every once in a
while. :-)

Best Regards,
Sebastian