[Openchrome-devel] OpenChrome Project status update presentation at the upcoming XDC2017

Kevin Brace kevinbrace at gmx.com
Thu Sep 14 02:48:50 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

I know it sounds like a shameless self promotion, but I was chosen to do a presentation about OpenChrome Project at XDC2017 (X Developer Conference 2017) being held over at Google HQ between September 20th to 22nd, 2017.

https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/XDC2017/Program/

It is titled "Reviving the Development of OpenChrome," and considering where OpenChrome was at 2 years ago, I think it is an appropriate title.
Several people have noted that somehow OpenChrome got the speaking slot over AMD Radeon and Nouveau project.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=XDC2017-Initial-Program
https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/x-org-drm/971069-xdc2017-to-feature-update-on-new-memory-allocation-api-hdr-gpgpu-glvnd

I do not personally know the reason behind why OpenChrome got the speaking slot, but if I were to speculate, probably because I am new to the scene in terms of the relative years of experience (roughly 2 years of working on OpenChrome non-stop) and someone who is not an employee of a corporation that works on a FOSS graphics stack (i.e., AMD and Intel comes to my mind).
Perhaps, the organizers wanted someone new to the scene to present, and I happened to be such person.
Personally, I was cautiously optimistic that OpenChrome will be chosen when I sent in the proposal, so I was not too surprised when I received an e-mail notifying me of the acceptance.
    Of course, I should not give away what I will talk about here considering that the conference will be livestreamed online and YouTube clip from the conference will be available shortly after.
That being said, I am feeling a little good about the OpenChrome Project considering that I finally figured out why the drm-next-4.13 was not working (https://cgit.freedesktop.org/openchrome/drm-openchrome/commit/?h=drm-next-4.13&id=3c08ec601bb1ccd5ff58a9101317b728aa7204bd) this afternoon, and got Xubuntu 16.04.3 to boot with Linux 4.13 rc5 for the first time.
Maybe I should have kept that good news until XDC2017 presentation, but I just wanted to get the code change out of the door so that I can start concentrating on preparing for the XDC2017 presentation.
As a result, I will not be working on OpenChrome code too much for the next 10 or so days.
That's all for now and I will now (seriously) start preparing for my XDC2017 presentation.

Kevin Brace
OpenChrome Project maintainer / developer