[openchrome-devel] DRI2 support ?

Kevin Brace kevinbrace at gmx.com
Mon Feb 22 21:14:47 UTC 2021

Hi Xavier,

Due to my personal situation, I have effectively suspended all OSS graphics code development since December 2020.
At this point it is not clear when I will resume the development.
    Yes, I switched the development to 'main' branch from 'master' branch.
Please note that OpenChrome DDX Version 0.6.400 is not an official release version, and it contains a few issues affecting some hardware models.
    You may not have been following the OpenChrome development lately, but if you saw my presentation at XDC 2019, I did note that I am focused getting the code mainlined, and this meant supporting atomic mode setting for OpenChrome DRM.

https://xdc2019.x.org/event/5/contributions/360/attachments/417/667/Update_on_OpenChrome_Project.pdf

I did manage to get the atomic mode setting implemented (finally).

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/openchrome/drm-openchrome/commit/?h=drm-next-5.11&id=8bf36d08a7662fb10290262de9d151df2bbaa97a

The remaining big issue here is FBDEV emulation related unwanted double allocation of a visible portion of the frame buffer.

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2020-October/283452.html

I will likely adopt a scheme Thomas Zimmermann of SUSE suggested.

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2020-October/283649.html

That is pretty much the biggest technical hurdle remaining prior to the code review by DRM maintainers.
I do not plan to add acceleration until the code is mainlined.
This should answer the DRI2 support issue.
    Another issue to note is that drm-next for Linux 5.11 branch (drm-next-5.11) is currently broken, and OpenChrome DRM will not compile properly.
Very intrusive changes were made to TTM in that version of drm-next, and I have not resolved all issues relating to TTM at this point.

Regards,

Kevin Brace
Brace Computer Laboratory blog
https://bracecomputerlab.com