[Openchrome-users] What should I expect from XvMC?

userforum@openchrome.org userforum
Sat Dec 24 18:50:14 PST 2005

What should I expect from XvMC?
I finally got XvMC, DRM, and Xorg going properly so that I now have lovely spangly hardware accelerated video. When I play movies my CPU usage is around 15% (Epia M2-12000).

However, playback in xine still looks somewhat poor. I still get the odd dropped frame whilst playing DVDs and playing video files (ones captured with my TV card via IVTV) is quite touch and go. When it plays properly then its like playing a DVD (frames dropped infrequently), but about half the time it will skip and jump terribly, and is totally unwatchable.

When xine skips frames it outputs 'bad_frame' in the console window, no matter what the verbosity level. Ive tried googling for this but I get only a meager handful of results, mostly not in English!

Im using the xxmc plugin, Ive got post-processing and deinterlacing disabled, Ive got DMA enabled on the HDD and DVD drive, and Im sure that Ive got XvMC working.

Is this what I should expect from XvMC? Surely this can't be right! Does anyone know what I might have done wrong?

I dont expect I'll get a reply until after Christmas now, so Merry Christmas to you all :)

Thanks in advance,
George