[Openchrome-users] Could not lock DMA pages

Thomas Hellström unichrome
Wed Dec 28 21:03:43 PST 2005

Hi!

MagicITX wrote:

> On 12/24/05, *Thomas Hellstr?m* <unichrome at shipmail.org
> <mailto:unichrome at shipmail.org>> wrote:
>
>     > On 12/23/05, Thomas Hellstr?m <unichrome at shipmail.org
>     <mailto:unichrome at shipmail.org>> wrote:
>     >>
>     >> MagicITX wrote:
>     >>
>     >> > I know this isn't a unichrome error but thought someone here
>     might be
>     >> > able to help.  I installed unichrome, libxvmc and drm from the
>     >> > unichrome-20051116 snapshot.  I installed VLC (Videolan Client)
>     >> > 0.8.1_r1 using Gentoo's emerge.  When I run vlc it get a
>     string of
>     >> > these in the log:
>     >> >
>     >> > [drm:via_build_sg_info] *ERROR* Could not lock DMA pages.
>     >> >
>     >> > On the display is a green block.  Any ideas?
>     >>
>     >> We've had similar error reports before, but I've been unable to
>     >> reproduce it.
>     >> Basically it is the drm being handed memory that does not
>     belong to the
>     >> user.
>     >>
>     >> What hardware is this?
>     >> What does the Xorg.0.log say? (Compressed, please)
>     >> Does Xine -V xv work with the same stream.
>     >> Does mplayer work with the same stream?
>     >>
>     >> /Thomas
>     >

>     Hi!
>
>     >
>     > This is a VIA EPIA M10000 system.  I put my Xorg online at
>     > http://www.magicitx.com/pub/Xorg.0.log
>     > I'm trying to play a DVD with vlc when I get the error.  I don't
>     have Xine
>     > on the system and still working on xvmc for mplayer.  I'll focus on
>     > mplayer
>     > today so I can give more information.  Watching live-tv with
>     MythTV works
>     > fine including xvmc.
>     >
>     > Thanks
>     >
>     > --
>     >
>     > Tim
>     > www.magicitx.com <http://www.magicitx.com>
>     >

>     The error is Xv-related, so it would be interesting to know whether Xv
>     works for the other players you have with the same stream. XvMC uses
>     another DRM path.
>
>     /Thomas
>

> The system were I got this error broke.  It would stay up for about 10
> minutes then freeze hard.  It didn't matter what I was running or not
> running.  Rebooting didn't do any good unless I waited for a while.  I
> suspect a component on the motherboard has heat problems.
>
> So I replace the motherboard and the problem with vlc went away.  Was
> it due to the motherboard problem?  A BIOS setting?  This one may
> [...]

Great. Can you just verify (if the problem should re-emerge for you or
for somebody else)

a) that this is a CLE266 chipset,
b) you have the line "[Xv] Using PCI DMA for Xv image transfer." in your
Xorg.0.log.
c) vlc works fine.

Regards,
Thomas