[Openchrome-users] FreeBSD 5.4 Via Unichrome / CLE266 Xorg hardware mpeg decoding

Thomas Hellström unichrome
Sun Nov 27 10:49:21 PST 2005

Vincent The wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 20:57 +0100, Thomas Hellstr?m wrote:
>

>>Vincent The wrote:
>>

>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I hope I'm posting this to the right list, but after al the searching,
>>>reading and trying of all kinds of different supposedly working
>>>solutions I'm kind of lost.
>>>
>>>The situation: I have a motherboard with the Via Unichrome Integrated
>>>Graphics which should support hardware mpeg2 decoding, a feature I
>>>really need on this box. I'm running FreeBSD 5.4 Release with xorg
>>>6.8.2 from ports.
>>>

>>First, you should try to compile and install the Openchrome DDX driver
>>and the XvMC libraries, and check that ordinary X is working with the DDX.
>>

>I compiled the DDX driver by copying the source to
>xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/via. I did the same with de
>libxvmc files (xc/lib/XvMC).
>
>After that i did a make install in /xc.
>
>X is working with the driver, the only error I get is:
>[drm] failed to load kernel module "via"
>(EE) VIA(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed.   Disabling DRI.
>
>This doesn't affect the regular operation of X by the way.
>

>>The via DRM (kernel module) is needed for both 3D and mpeg2 decoding. It
>>has recently been ported to FreeBSD. I don't know if it works and I
>>haven't heard any success stories. I don't know which FreeBSD version
>>you need, but please go and ask on the dri-devel list.
>>http://dri.sourceforge.net. Compile and install the DRM and check in the
>>X server log that XvMC is actually active.
>>

>The only trace of XvMC in the log is this: (WW) VIA(0): [XvMC] Cannot
>use XvMC without DRI!
>
>There's something strange with this, FreeBSD supposedly has DRM in the
>kernel for FreeBSD > 5 (I'm running 5.4)
>
>The files mentioned on the "How all driver component fit together" page
>in /etc/X11/XvMCConfig don't exist either, so something most probably is
>wrong here.
>
>I suppose I'll have to ask this part on the dri-devel list ;)

Yes. The dri errors appear because you don't have the via drm. There are
hopefully people on the dri-devel list that are able to tell you how to
get the via kernel module compiled and what FreeBSD version you need.

>>Then you should be able to follow the normal procedures of compiling the
>>XvMC wrapper and patched mplayer.
>>

>Can you point me to the "normal procedures"? I don't seem to be able to
>find any howto's on openchrome.
>
>Vincent

Umm, We haven't put together a good howto yet. I hope we can have one
finished by the time you get FreeBSD drm working :).

/Thomas