[Openchrome-users] interleave problem with openchrome driver with SP8000 and TV out

druyts pascal pascal_druyts
Mon Nov 28 16:30:24 PST 2005

I noticed a strange distortion problem on the TV output on a epia SP8000.
The problem looks like an interleave problem, but the strange thing is that
the MPEG stream is not interleaved and does not present any distortion. Even
stranger, when pausing the movie, the image is flickering, I am not sure of
what is going on, but it could be that odd and even lines are getting
continuously swapped.

I know that there are filters to reduce the inconvenience, but those filter
blur the image and load the CPU, which is already eavily loaded to play the
MPEG stream. My understanding is that those filters should only have to be
used if the original stream has been badly recorded.

I also tested the via driver (which  needed minor modifications to compile
with a 2.6.13 kernel). With that driver, the "interleave" problem does not
show up and I therefore attribute the problem to the openchrome driver.
Unfortunetely, the via driver also has  a problem, some pixels --say 5 to 10
neighbouring pixels one or several horizontal line, but not always the
same--- have a bad color (usualy dark), as if  the buffer being unreadable
when the graphic card needs it (because it is accesed by the driver? I don't
know much about the driver implementation, don't flame me if this hypothesis
is stupid).

I am using MythTV with the last svn version of the openchrome driver, XvMC
is not enabled (I understood I have to recompile MythTV with XvMCPro enabled
to test the HW acceleration) and the ouput is on a PAL TV.

As a conclusion, the output of the via driver is more pleasant than that of
the openchrome drive, but also shows some problem. I would however prefer to
use the openchrome driver, beacuse it is open source of course, but also
because it is , if I understood well,  my only chance to use the hardware
mpeg decoding in MythTV because Myth does not support  the VeXP extension.

Any idea on how I could resolve this "interleave" problem?

Thanks,

Pascal