[Openchrome-users] Direct Rendering is not enabled

Thomas Hellström unichrome
Tue Nov 29 14:54:11 PST 2005

> Hi!
>
> On 11/28/05, Thomas Hellstr?m <unichrome at shipmail.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi!

>> > Actually, I attached it in the previous e-mail. Now paste it here for
>> your
>> > convinience:
>> > #sudo glxgears
>> > libGL: XF86DRIGetClientDriverName: 5.0.0 unichrome (screen 0)
>> > libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/unichrome_dri.so
>> > drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID PCI:1:0:0
>> > drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
>> > drmOpenDevice: open result is 4, (OK)
>> > drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 4
>> > drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:01:00.0
>> >
>> > ERROR!  sizeof(VIADRIRec) does not match passed size from device
>> driver
>> > __driCreateNewScreen_20050727 - succeeded
>> > libGL warning: 3D driver returned no fbconfigs.
>> > libGL error: InitDriver failed
>> > libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering
>> > 627 frames in 6.0 seconds = 104.500 FPS
>> > 600 frames in 5.0 seconds = 120.000 FPS
>> > 480 frames in 5.0 seconds = 96.000 FPS
>> > X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
>> >
>> Ah, sorry. I didn't catch that, and nor did I remember you were using a
>> 64
>>
>> bit system.
>>
>> There is currently a bug in our building system for 64-bit, which I
>> haven't  had time to work around. The plain Xorg via driver will work,
>> whereas the openChrome driver will not. To make it work you will have to
>> do the following:
>>
>> Edit the openChrome Imakefile file, and change the line
>>
>> X_DRM_H_LOCATION = -I$(DRMSRCDIR)/shared
>> -I$(XF86OSSRC)/shared/drm/kernel
>> X_DRM_H_LOCATION = -I$(DRMSRCDIR)/shared-core
>>
>> Then change the line
>>
>> DRIDEFINES = $(GLX_DEFINES)
>> DRIDEFINES = $(GLX_DEFINES) -D__linux__
>>
>> Then
>>
>> make Makefile
>> make clean
>> make
>> make install
>>
>> And you should hopefully be OK.
>

> This solve the problem with Xorg 6.8.99.902. the FPS of glxgears increased
> from 120 to 550 dramatically. Thanks for your effort.
> But it's not the case of Xorg 6.8.2:
> Firstly, with these changes, it doesn't compile with Xorg 6.8.2, there are
> no folds named shared-core in the drm source shipped with it.
> I tried to solve this by:
> 1. change the DRMSOURCE to the new one (cvs HEAD)
>     It does compile, but X server crashed. see the attachment for debug
> info.
> 2. leave X_DRM_H_LOCATION = -I$(DRMSRCDIR)/shared
> -I$(XF86OSSRC)/shared/drm/kernel alone, just change the line
>
> DRIDEFINES = $(GLX_DEFINES)
> DRIDEFINES = $(GLX_DEFINES) -D__linux__
>    It compile too, but the problem wasn't solved.  Just as the line wasn't
> changed.

Hmm, I'm afraid I'm not able to help you here, as I'm not sure the 6.8.2
dri layer is 64 bit clean and compatible with 6.8.2, and I have no 6.8.2 I
can compile and test with. I think you have to settle with 6.9 if you want
a working 64-bit dri.

The only advice I can give is to really make sure you made a "make clean"
before recompiling for 6.8.2.

/Thomas