[Openchrome-users] TV-out grayscale and cropped on sp13000/openchrome/720x576Noscale

Ivor Hewitt ivor
Tue Apr 4 08:00:39 PDT 2006

Simon Kagstrom wrote:

 > I have some problems getting tv-out to work well with my Via
 > sp13000. I use a s-video connection to my TV (which is a 5-year old
 > fairly good widescreen TV).
 >
 > My problem is that the 720x576Noscale mode gives a slightly cropped
 > image, only something like 700x520 pixels actually fit on the screen
 > (most is shown with the TV in 4x3 mode). Also, the image is often
 > gray-scale, although this can be fixed by switching back and forth
 > between 720x576Noscale and other modes.

Well you should be getting some overscan, it should be about 5-10% of
the image so 76 pixels does seem a bit much.
It's probably worth getting a TV test card image to display that shows
the tv safe and text safe boundaries (I used to have one but can't find
it) and take a look to see just what sort of overscan youre getting.

The grey image is probably caused by the picture being too far
overscanned and the TV is missing the chroma.

 > I've tried both the latest svn-openchrome (without libXvMc, which I
 > haven't been able to compile yet) and the stock Debian/Testing X.org
 > 6.9 driver and it looks the same with both options.

There's been no change in that TV code so they will all show the same
output.

It needs someone with the datasheet to spend some time tweaking /
adjusting the values. Terry Barnaby was the man, but he's been quiet lately.

 > Could this be a widescreen TV issue?

No. not when you're using svideo, it's still just normal PAL signal
you're putting out.

--
Ivor
http://www.ivor.it