[Openchrome-users] TV-out grayscale and cropped on sp13000/openchrome/720x576Noscale

Simon Kagstrom simon.kagstrom
Tue Apr 4 13:11:10 PDT 2006

At Tue, 04 Apr 2006 16:00:39 +0100,
Ivor Hewitt wrote:

> Simon Kagstrom wrote:
>  > My problem is that the 720x576Noscale mode gives a slightly cropped
>  > image, only something like 700x520 pixels actually fit on the screen
>  > (most is shown with the TV in 4x3 mode). Also, the image is often
>  > gray-scale, although this can be fixed by switching back and forth
>  > between 720x576Noscale and other modes.
>  >
> Well you should be getting some overscan, it should be about 5-10% of
> the image so 76 pixels does seem a bit much.
> [...]
>
> The grey image is probably caused by the picture being too far
> overscanned and the TV is missing the chroma.

Some more input: 720x576Over is the mode that works best so far
(thanks to Stephen Rowles for the tip). With that mode and the TV set
to "Widescreen", the picture is still slightly too large, but at least
nice and sharp and always in color. If I use e.g., 4x3 mode on the TV,
I get a discolored vertical band on the left.

Does

  Option          "TVVScan" "under"

in the xorg.conf really do anything? I tried it in the hope that it
would counter the overscan mode, it didn't :-)

(Thanks for the Wikipedia links!)

// Simon