[Openchrome-users] VIA spearhead and the PLE133

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx
Fri Apr 7 13:25:07 PDT 2006

Do the drivers work on the PLE133?  I was looking at the following
product, which I'm trying to convince a west coast importer into
bringing into the country:

http://www.viatech.com/en/initiatives/spearhead/settop-box/

No idea how big the box is, since in typical VIA fashion, they leave out
useful details like weight, dimensions, power supply, etc.

There is no component or DVI out.  Sigh.

Not clear what the difference between that and:

http://www.viatech.com/en/initiatives/spearhead/information-pc/

might be, other than the case (missing PCI slots, perhaps... which
seems odd that the PC would not have PCI slots, but the set-top box
would).

Lastly, this is kind of neat:

http://www.viatech.com/en/initiatives/spearhead/infotainment-server/

Again, in a stunning lack of information, the specs don't make it clear
if there's
one slot or two...  The images make it look like two, but nothing in the
spec
appears to be plural.

I've emailed VEPD about this, but of course they aren't answering email.

(Ever wonder how companies like this stay in business???  I do.)

This box uses the CLE266, which if I remember, doesn't have great MPEG
support... right?  It's the same as the EPIA M-series.

-Philip