[Openchrome-users] Finding Xorg modular source to build against.

R. G. Newbury newbury
Thu Apr 13 10:01:48 PDT 2006

Jon Nettleton wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 12:01 +0200, Xavier Bachelot wrote:
>
>>R. G. Newbury wrote:
>>
>>>I have inadvertently sent myself down the upgrade road, without a map.
>>>An 'upgrade' to mysql 5 messed up my mythbox, so I decided to start from
>>>scratch and install Fedora 5.
>>>But the kernel doesn't yet have xvmc drivers for the Unichrome Pro
>>>chipset in my Via SP13000 (least I don't think so).
>>>
>>>The '30 second guide' works nicely if you already have the Xorg source
>>>installed in the kernel tree.
>>>
>>>But I am entirely lost as to how to find/install the Xorg 7 source. In
>>>days past, there was an available single source rpm which could be dealt
>>>with by using yum...
>>>
>>>Now?????  Help would be appreciated.
>>>I am itching to compile version 177 of openchrome and the drm/dri.
>>>
>>>Geoff
>>
>>http://washington.kelkoo.net/epia/FC5 has openchrome driver for FC5.
>>No drm update yet, but the one included in regular FC5 kernel should be
>>enough.
>

> the drm that comes with Fedora Core 5 works with openchrome out of the
> box.  To compile the openchrome drivers you needs to install the
> xorg-x11-server-sdk, libdrm-devel, libXvMC-devel, and LibXv-devel
> packages through yum.  I think that is all the dependencies, but their
> might be a few more.  If openchrome still won't get through configure
> post your config.log and I will take a look.

Thanks, Jon.
The kernel drm does seem to work with the openchrome FC5 module from
Xavier's site.
Thanks for the list of packages. The change to the modular 7.0 xorg
makes all of the previous how-to's generally wrong! (Hint! Update
web-site!!!)

Now that it's actually working I may not bother to go through the full
process.

On another note however, I am thinking of buying a new motherboard... a
Via EN series with the VT1625 video chipset....I am looking at getting
an antenna to get OTA access to HD transmissions, so I could test new
openchrome drivers...And I think someone said that actual HD content was
needed..Would 'raw' mythtv HD mpeg recordings work? I am willing to
assist with this effort.

Geoff