[Openchrome-users] TV-Out on CN700 (vt1625)

Joel Means jmeans
Mon Aug 28 10:23:48 PDT 2006

Lasse Bigum wrote:
> On 10:03, Fri 25 Aug, Joel Means wrote:
>> I have a Via EPIA-EN12000E board that I am using to set up a MythTV box.
>>  I am having some issues with using TV out.
>
> I have e EN15000 board, have issues with TV-out as well.
>
>> I have set up the
>> openchrome driver from SVN downloaded on 08/22/2006.  I have also
>> installed CVS drm from the same date.
>
> I have openchrome versioned from 08/10/2006, and drm from 08/02/2006.
>
>> XvMC works fine with xine and
>> xvtestcard.  When I hook up to the s-video or composite outputs, I get a
>> very garbled image.  I can tell it is trying to display what is on my
>> CRT, but it isn't right.  I am trying to get it working on a standard
>> def NTSC set.  Can someone tell me if they have this working and what
>> settings they have used in xorg.conf and in the BIOS.  I have tried
>> several different combinations of settings, but get the same results
>> each time.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I have pretty much the same problem. The problem, I think, is that the X
> server is trying to use the same resolution on both the TV and on the
> LCD (for me), and since this is not possible for the TV, it garbles the
> output. I can enable the following in my Device section to have the TV
> work, but then the LCD fails:
>         Option          "VBEModes" "true"   # Comment in for TV-out
>
> I have not yet succeeded in making both the LCD and the TV (NTSC) work
> at the same time yet. I'm using composite.
>
> An additional question to yours, if you don't mind: How does one get the
> framebuffer to work? I had it working at one point, but now it does not
> work. It works with grub, but as soon as it displays the "unpacking
> kernel" thing, the output on my TV goes blank. I would like to have the
> framebuffer working so that I do not need to have X running to play back
> movies.
>
> /Lasse

I have an update on my progress and a couple more questions.  I applied
Ken's patch to enable 720x480under.  It still doesn't work properly for
me.  I have found that if I add the "VBEModes" "true" option as Lasse
suggested, I can get any of the modes (640x480, 720x480, 720x480under)
to work on the S-Video output, but, as he mentioned for his LCD, it
screws up my CRT in any mode except 640x480 when I exit X.  (I can start
X and get both displays working properly, but once I exit, I get "out of
range" on my CRT and can't get it back without a reboot).  I think that
I can live with this, except for another problem that has come up.  In
playing DVD's in xine, I have found that using the xxmc video decoder
option, I can get my cpu usage down to ~20%.  Using xv or xvmc, I am up
over 90% with excessive dropped frames.  But, if I enable TV output with
the xxmc decoder, I don't get any video on the screen, on the CRT or the
TV.  I tried with TV output only and with only a CRT connected but TV
active, and I still get nothing.  Can someone explain to me a bit about
xxmc vs xvmc and possibly help me with the lack of video?
Thanks,
Joe;